Members Affected by FEMA-Declared Disasters
We at NEA Member Benefits want you to know we’re here to support you during this difficult time.
Many of our benefit partners are offering special assistance to members in need. Below is a list of contact information for our partners and details on specific assistance they have available.
We’ll continue to update this page with additional information as we receive it.
We hope that you and your families are safe. Please contact us if you have any questions about your benefits and we will help you however we can. You can reach our Member Service Center by telephone or email:
NEA Members Insurance Trust Programs
The NEA Members Insurance Trust is offering a premium waiver for one full year to affected NEA members who participate in either NEA Life Insurance, NEA Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, or the NEA Retiree Health Program. If you are a participating member who is in a FEMA-declared Major Disaster Area, please call the NEA Members Insurance Trust at 1-800-523-5877 to request your waiver of premium. Specifically:
- The Trust will waive premium for one year for any participating member in an affected ZIP code who calls and requests a waiver of premium;
- Participating members have 4 months from the disaster declaration to request the waiver;
- The Trust will extend the grace period for one year for any insured member who resides in a declared ZIP code and lapses his or her policy;
- The Trustees may vote on any disasters that fall outside of the approved 7 FEMA categories, when brought to their attention by a State Executive Director or State President.
NEA Auto & Home Insurance Program – California Casualty
Claims agents are available 24 hours a day at 1-800-800-9410. You can also learn more at the California Casualty Catastrophe Center: http://www.calcas.com/web/ccmc/catastrophe-center.
- Reporting Serious Claims: If you have a serious bodily injury claim or an emergency homeowner claim, please contact California Casualty 24 hours a day at 1-800-800-9410. Your call will be immediately transferred to a claims representative. (Outside of regular business hours, your call will be routed to an on-call claims representative who can provide immediate assistance.)
- Reporting Minor Claims: If you have a minor, non-injury claim, please report your claim by calling 1-800-800-9410 during regular business hours or by visiting: http://www.calcas.com/web/ccmc/claims
If you are insured by the NEA Auto & Home Insurance Program, you also have as an added benefit an Identity Document Recovery Service at no cost (provided through Identity Theft 911®). This service includes post-disaster assistance with emergency authentication and assistance accessing, protecting and reassembling financial, credit and employment data and files. To access this service, please call 1-800-800-9410 and ask for a customer care specialist. This individual will be your point of contact in dealing with all relevant agencies, institutions and organizations.
NEA Income Protection Insurance Plan – American Fidelity
Please call 1-888-461-1612.
NEA Credit Card Program – Bank of America
As an NEA cardholder, you can reach Bank of America for assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week via the toll-free number on the back of your credit card (800-854-7338) or on your monthly account statement. Bank representatives will work with you to help address whatever needs you may have based on your unique individual circumstances.
NEA Home Financing Program – Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
Affected Wells Fargo residential mortgage customers should contact the Wells Fargo Disaster Hotline at 1-888-818-9147, Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. CST, and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. CST for information on disaster assistance. Customers can inquire about payment options available to eligible customers and for guidance on handling property insurance loss claims. Customers can also get help online at www.wellsfargo.com/recovery.
NEA Retirement Program – Security Benefit
Please call 1-800-632-8258. Information on accessing your retirement account(s) to help pay for emergency expenses is also available in this PDF:
NEA Savings Program – Discover Bank
As an NEA member, you can reach Discover Bank for assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week toll-free at 1-800-347-7032. Bank representatives will work with and help you based on your unique individual circumstances.
NEA Personal Loan – First National Bank of Omaha
As an NEA member, you can reach First National Bank of Omaha for assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling toll-free 1-888-283-5228. The bank will work with you to help address whatever needs you may have based on your individual circumstances.
NEA Smart Option Student Loan – Sallie Mae
Sallie Mae will provide disaster relief forbearance after speaking with customers about their specific situation. NEA members may call 1-888-272-5543 for more information.