Below is a list of resources and services that are currently available to NEA members facing financial difficulties. We’ll continue to work with our program suppliers to identify additional opportunities for special consideration and, where possible, temporary relief from financial pressures. We will update this list as new resources are added.
This information is also available in a printable PDF brochure (1.3M).
NEA Member Benefits Affiliate Relations
NEA Member Benefits Affiliate Relations (AR) is a field-based team supporting the affiliates and members at the state and local levels. AR Specialists represent NEA Member Benefits at the grass-roots level, serving as advocates for members’ interests, providing education about how to access the Member Assistance Program, and conducting financial seminars designed to help members navigate uncertain economic times and make prudent decisions about their finances. AR Specialists coalesce the services of program suppliers and business partners to meet members’ needs and present solutions face-to-face. Find your Affiliate Relations Specialist
NEA Member Benefits Member Advocacy Center
NEAMB’s Member Advocacy Center is your best resource for the latest information on adjustments that may be available to you. Member Advocacy Representatives are available by phone or e-mail to assist you in identifying programs and services that may be helpful. Please contact us
Your Guide to Finding a Job in Education
Educators can use this printable PDF brochure
(1.4M) as a resource to get expert advice on how to job search, create a professional profile and how to represent yourself as the best job candidate during the interview process.
National Foundation for Credit Counseling
NEA Member Benefits and the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) have teamed up to provide debt management and housing counseling services to NEA members and their families. You can contact NFCC at 1-866-479-NEA2 (-6322) or visit www.debtadvice.org/nea
- Customer representatives are trained to develop appropriate, customized solutions for members whose accounts are past due. This may include reducing monthly payments, reducing interest rates or fees, providing financial education materials, and/or making referrals to non-profit credit counseling services.
- Members in need of assistance should call the number on the back of their credit card.
- Members with an NEA investment/retirement account may be eligible to apply for a hardship withdrawal.
- Members in need of assistance should call the National Service Center at 1-800-NEA-VALU (632-8258).
Members who need help with any NEA insurance program should call 1-800-637-4636.
- The NEA Members Insurance Trust is waiving premium for the third year in a row for all participating members who have been laid off as long as written documentation is provided.
- Participating members will also have the option to reduce their coverage to lower their premiums. Coverage can be increased back to the original amount without going through the underwriting process again as long as it is done within 2 years of the reduction of coverage.
- If you have any questions about the waiver, please contact us and one of our Member Advocacy Representatives will assist you.
- A member who had disability income insurance prior to being laid off can reapply for the same level of coverage once they are re-employed (assuming they qualify by salary).
- Members who are rehired by their former employer or hired by a new employer can reapply for the coverage within 3 months of the layoff without undergoing the underwriting process again.
- Members in need of assistance should call 1-800-637-4636.
- If a member is laid off, a skip payment option is available.
- Members who have been laid off should indicate this to the customer service representative to be transferred to a team manager who may be able to assist with other options.
- Members in need of assistance should call 1-800-877-7345.
Members and up to 4 family members can save on everyday needs with a variety of offers from popular merchants. Please visit NEA Click & Save for the most current offers.